One of the quick ways of detecting many types of spyware/virus infections is using a diagnostic tool called HijackThis. Here are the steps for collecting a HijackThis report and sending it in to us.
- Download a copy of Hijack This. We recommend simply downloading the executable, as it does not need to be installed on your system. Link for the HijackThis download
- Run the program.
- A dialog box should appear, showing you a number of options. Select the first option, labeled ‘Do a system scan and save a logfile’
- HijackThis will run a report and generate a text file with the report results. This should automatically be displayed in Notepad on your screen. On the menu bar for the report in Notepad, choose Edit and then Select All — this will highlight all of the report. Then choose Edit and Copy to copy the text.
- Go to our Contact Page and in the message section, right click and select Paste to paste the report. Fill in your name, email address, and subject (HijackThis Report), and then finally hit the ‘Send Message’ button.
- Close out the report and the HijackThis program.
That’s all there is to it.
We’ll analyze the report and let you know if your system appears to be infected.